Media, Visual & Performing Arts
The Long Beach Schools Music Department offers students a variety of courses and musical experiences throughout Elementary, Middle and High School. Our programs and ensembles have been recognized for their excellence both locally and nationally.
The Long Beach Public Schools are committed to excellence in music education. Performing ensembles begin in the upper elementary grades and continue through the middle and high schools. The music program is designed so that students experience a broad range of musical styles and includes performance opportunities featuring band, choir, orchestra and jazz programs. Many of our students are recognized at the local, state and national levels. In recognition of outstanding achievement, Long Beach Public Schools have been recognized as one of the Best 100 Communities for Music Education in the nation for the past 5 years.
The music department adheres to national and state curricular standards and is committed to introducing its students to technology and a broad range of musical experiences. To this end, the high school has a state-of-the-art music computer lab and offer technology-based music production and recording classes.
National & State Music Learning Standards:
- Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
- Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
- Reading and notating music.
- Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
- Evaluating music and music performances.
- Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
- Understanding music in relation to history and culture.