Nike Group Initiative
The NIKE Group Initiative (GI) is a committee formed of high school students that attend NIKE Work Based Learning Center as a part of Long Beach Schools. At present community service is not a requirement to graduate high school in Long Beach, however students taking part in the group want to participate and give back to their community. All students may have the opportunity to be a part of a committee that reaches out into the community to perform a service or donate to local causes.
The GI creates a work environment within the classroom that emphasizes outreach and professionalism. Students benefit from participation by developing:
- Project Management and leadership skills
- Team building
- Community awareness
- Appreciation of cultures outside of their immediate environment and the hardships they may face.
- real life work place experiences in the class room
By participating in the group, students can obtain some of the following skills:
- Grant and donation application
- Composing business documents and professional emails
- Budget control
- Business Writing
- Presentation and multimedia skills
- Inventory / record keeping
- Research and documenting skills